Using simultaneously (and at the same time ) the two UART's

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using simultaneously (and at the same time ) the two UART's

Hello. I've been working with some XBee RF modules for different projects. This time, I'm developing an application which requirement imposes a limitation for the XBee modules, so I need to use more than one UART (at least two) and the Xbee module only has one. So I've been searching for RF modules that have more than one UART and the Synapse modules seem to be a good option, so I'm very interested in the RF100PD6 Synapse module.

The aim of this thread is to make specific questions:

Can the two UART´s in the Synapse module work simultaneously (I mean at the same time and each one with different data) in a full duplex communication?

If the answer of the question above is true, Can the two UART's in the Synapse module work (simultaneously) at differents baud rate (ie UART1 at 9600 and UART2 at 115200)?

are non-standard Baud rates supported?

While our modules do support non-standard baud rates, the current SNAP implementation only allows for a single UART to be processed at a time. This is something that we have on the To-Do list (although I don't think we have a time-line for when it will be added).
    sigpic
    Proven Solutions for the Internet of Things
    www.synapse-wireless.com

Comment

Can the two UART´s in the Synapse module work simultaneously (I mean at the same time and each one with different data) in a full duplex communication?
      Both UARTs can function at the same time, and their baud rates are independant. The baud rate value is specified numerically in the initUart(whichUart, baudrate) call, so if you want something like 567 bps you can do that.

The restriction Jonathan was referring to has to do with the processing of the UART data.

You can (for example) use one UART for PACKET_SERIAL (our version of "SNAP over serial"). At the same time you can use the other UART for our TRANSPARENT DATA MODE.

Or you could use one for DATA MODE, and another for "scripted IO" (print and HOOK_STDIN).

What SNAP does not support is TWO of any particular type of UART processing.

If these terms mean nothing to you, please refer to the SNAP Reference Manual.

So, depending on what you want to do with the UARTS, the existing SNAP code may or may not be a fit for your application.

Comment

X