Updating firmware on RF100 in EK2100

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Updating firmware on RF100 in EK2100

I just received an EK2100 kit. One of the RF100 module has outdated firmware according to Portal. The version reported is "2.4.9 (Out of date).

When I connect to the protoboard with the outdated RF100 through the RS-232 port, I get the message "Please restart your or device to start the upgrade. Press the reset or turn power off and then back on".

I've tried to do both, but nothing happens....

Pls. help

You might check the jumper on your protoboard. There is a jumper that selects the button switch on the board to either be attached to GPIO5 ( I think ) or to be used as the reset button. It comes set to toggle on GPIO5 pin and you have to move the jumper to the reset position when you want to use the protoboard to update firmware on a module.

Comment

Hi doodah
      Thank you for your reply.
      I've already that what you suggest, and also physically connect Ground and Reset, briefly. Still same result.

Comment

I had some problems like this. But I was running Portal through an emulator on OS X. I had to go to a Windows PC to update firmware on some modules. I'm assuming you are using some USB to RS232 cable... You might want to double check and update the USB serial cable drivers.

Comment

As doodah mentioned, the majority of these type issues come down to the USB-to-serial adapter drivers in Windows. Right clicking on the related device in Windows Device Manager should give you the option to 'update the driver'. Let Windows run through the driver install process one more time and you should be good.

If you are running another OS, then they might be other issues related to opening the COM port.

Aside Note: Removing, then reapplying, power to the protoboard should also give you the reset that Portal is looking for (provided there are no serial port issues)
          sigpic
          Proven Solutions for the Internet of Things
          www.synapse-wireless.com

Comment

Hi Jheath and doodah

It was the USB-to-serial adapter as you pointed out. I ordered a new one, plugged it in and immediately the firmware upgrade proceeded as it should.

Thank you very much for your help!

Br. Povl

Comment

X