RF300 SNAP Sniffer non-functioning

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RF300 SNAP Sniffer non-functioning

I have had trouble getting my RF300 based network functioning as intended. While I was trouble shooting I tried to use the SNAP Sniffer program.

I tried loading both the RF300_SnifferV1.2.0 and the Si1000_SnifferV1.2.0 firmwares on my SYNAPSE RF300 module. The snap sniffer program identified and successfully connected to node (under both firmwares) but I never got any output on the GUI. I set the channel and pressed the start button in the snap sniffer program and it did not appear that the program reacted at all. I connected the sniffer node both with rs232 and usb.

Is there a problem using the SNAP Sniffer with RF300 nodes?
    Last edited by STwingad; 07-06-2011, 01:02 PM. Reason: added additional information

RF300 Sniffer

I just tested this with a USB stick/RF300 and a proto board/RF300 (sniffer) and it worked.

1. did a firmware upgrade on the Rf300 in my proto board to sniffer firmware RF300 version 1.2.3
    2. launch the sniffer program which connected to the proto board via com port 1
    3. I am on channel 4 so I selected channel 4 and then clicked the play button
    4. GUI showed traffic on channel 4

What version of Portal are you using?

If your are using a RF300 module then you need to use the RF300 sniffer code not the Si1000 sniffer code

Comment

Originally posted by gvoce View Post
      What version of Portal are you using?
      I am using Portal v2.4.17. It has firmware RF300_SnifferV1.2.0.sfi and not 1.2.3. I tried it with both the RF300 first and the Si1000 afterwards when the first code didn't seem to work. I have SNAP Sniffer v1.2.2.

I'm not sure why the version of Portal is important. I tried running the SNAP Sniffer both with Portal running and without Portal running.

1. did a firmware upgrade on the Rf300 in my proto board to sniffer firmware RF300 version 1.2.0
      2. launch the sniffer program which connected to the proto board via com port 5
      3. I am on channel 4 so I selected channel 4 and then clicked the play button
      4. GUI showed NOTHING. I am not using encryption.

I am attempting to troubleshoot a sleepyMesh network. The only traffic that should be going through the air are the gotoSleep and meshUp commands (e.g. mcastRpc(1,5,'gotoSleep',sleepTicks) and mcastRpc(1,5, 'meshUp', localAddr()) commands). It was my understanding that the sniffer node should pick these up. Is this not the expected behavior?

Comment

Originally posted by Jheath View Post
        For the RF300 only - Firmware before the 2.4.17 build will not interact with firmware after the 2.4.17 build. This denotes a change in the radio scheme that was implemented after FCC testing.
        I suspect that this might be the problem. Probably SnifferV1.2.0 corresponds to a firmware before 2.4.17. How do I get the SnifferV1.2.3 firmware?

Comment

RF300 sniffer

email synapse customer support ..................

Comment

So it seems that this is likely the issue?

Comment

Rf300

Worth trying ........................

Comment

RF300_SnifferV1.2.3 works as expected with nodes running RF300_SnapV2.4.20.

RF300_SnifferV1.2.0 wasn't compatible with the same nodes running Snap v2.4.17 or Snap v.2.4.20.

Problem solved. Thanks.

Comment

RF300 sniffer

version RF300_SnifferV1.2.3 solved this issue

Comment

X