No announcement yet.

Rf220 , sm220

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unfortunately, our results are purely qualitative at this stage.

We will endeavor to do some like-for-like tests by swapping the modules in the field... just as soon as the weather improves

Sadly, we don't really have the means to measure the output power. As such, it's entirely possible that it's an issue with receiver sensitivity as opposed to output power. Or it could be there is no real difference - just different operating conditions.

So, basically, we're still working on it... but if anyone has had similar issues (and gone on to find the culprit), I'd be very interested to hear.

Comment

If you get the chance to set up another experiment, I would like to hear your results if you use the same receiving node and different transmit nodes. (i.e. use an RF200 module for receive at distance and an RF200 node to transmit and check range and then use an RF220 node to transmit and check range.)

I also wanted to comment that the manual can be a little confusing on the antenna choice, I just want to recommend that you double check the setting and be sure that it is indeed on F antenna and not u.FL.

Comment

I just tested the RF220UF1 with both antenna options ("F" antenna and U.FL with adapter cable to external antenna) and both options are within 3-4 db with the external option being better. I am using portal, a bridge node, and then the RF220 in a proto board about 4' from the bridge node.

I would expect this close of a reading at this distance.

Comment

I have a few RF220SU's that i have been testing with over the last few months to replace our current RF200PD1's. I have run into an issue and wondered if this is a known problem or just totally bogus.

I am using GPIO5 as an input. It is connected to a dip switch in order to do some configuration in an embedded application.

I have one radio that has been working perfectly for a few months and now all of a sudden it is actually changing the Pin Direction from input to output. As soon as I use Portal to setPinDir(20,0) it starts working again. After about 1 min it will randomly switch back to an output and attempt to output a voltage (which conflicts with a pull-up on its parent board).

I have tried wiping the image and Factory Default NV Params. Also, despite the fact that I declare it to be an input on power up, it comes up in output mode every time I power cycle.

So again, just wondering if this is an issue that has been seen before. Thanks.

Comment

• Jon.Wilder
            Jon.Wilder commented
            Editing a comment
            Hi. Have you tried using a different pin to see if it behaves the same way?

• IbarraE
            IbarraE commented
            Editing a comment
            Try disabling flow control on UART 0 using the following:
            flowControl(0, False)

Actually, I'm not so certain now about what I said - page 112 of the most recent SNAP Reference Manual I have claims that on a RF200, GPIO12 is MISO and GPIO14 is MOSI. But three pages later, it claims the exact opposite, in which case your original wiring was correct. The latter matches the pinouts for the RF100 and RF220 modules, so at this point I would say DON'T change your wiring. You might want to use your scope to verify exactly which pins are doing anything when you send a SPI command...

Comment

X